Around 1875, only the municipalities of Palanas and Uson existed in the Southern portion of the mainland province of Masbate.
Between these two (2) towns and along what is now called Naro Bay, was a busy fishing village where fish was given free by transient fishermen who came to fish on the shores of this bay. As the fish was abundant, so were people from different places who came to this place to engage in fishing. Eventually, the place came to be known as Pueblo Naro derived from the native word “NAARO” which means “could be asked without payment in return”
This pueblo thrived into a fishing community and became the center of trade. However, bandits and pirates were attracted also to the place as many times the village was pillaged by the “pulajanes” or moro bandits. Consequent to the heavy attacks by the moros, Pueblo Naro soon became deserted and was completely abandoned that it was almost lost to memory except by the name of “Daan na Lungsod” which means “Old Town”.
By its geographical situation of being in-between the Municipalities of Uson and Palanas, the new Naro was the source of boundary dispute of these towns. Jurisdiction of this place was alternately held by these two (2) towns depending upon the degree of unity of the constituents, support of the Cabeza de Barangay and bravery of the town executive. However, by 1897, the Municipality of Palanas gained an uninterrupted political control of Naro up to the establishment of the American Civil Government, where in Year 1902, the Municipality of Uson also extended its political control to the old legal boundary at Masisi River beyond Barrio Naro.
This latter development was unanimously supported by the people and by their overwhelming votes, elected their leader, Potenciano Tamayo as President for Palanas after which the municipality was formally transferred from Palanas to Naro on December 01, 1903.
Since its creation as a Municipality in Year 1904, there was a smooth transition of political leadership since that of Potenciano Tamayo of Palanas, then by Florentino Alvarez also of same place, then in year 1906 to 1011 by Felix Albao of Dimasalang emanating from the Order of Sorsogon Province.
After this historical event, the municipal council shortly moved for the renaming of Naro to Jose Rizal’s penname “Dimasalang” in cognizance and honor of the life and works of the great hero. Thus, the name of DIMASALANG for a municipality which prides itself with a rich and glorious past.